foundations of Vedic chanting to begin your personal chanting journey
Why do it?
Vedas are ancient scriptures composed in the Sanskrit language. They have been transmitted from generation to generation over the past several thousand years by way of the same traditional call and response process we still use today. Vedic chanting is a spiritual practice and yields many powerful benefits when learnt in the correct manner:
- promotes concentration, memory and listening skills
- calms the mind and thus is an active form of meditation
- can be applied in healing, yoga therapy, and in one’s personal practice
- improves the breath in general
- promotes self-confidence
- is demanding whilst bringing lightness, joy… and some good laughs!
About these classes:
You will learn the basic rules of Vedic chanting, how to read transcriptions and chanting notes, and how to chant a few non-religious mantras with universal health benefits. You will also receive handouts and recordings to support your learning and progress. This foundation course is a requirement for future Vedic chanting classes where you will learn longer mantras.
- 8 one-hour classes
- Class dates: Oct 12, 19, 26 – Nov 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
- Class time: 7:00 – 8:00 pm
- Cost: 200$ for the 8 sessions, payable up front
- Venue: Puruṣa House, 18 Holdsworth Street, Fremantle.
About the teacher:
Valerie is a Vedic Chanting practitioner and teacher with several decades of experience. She learnt Vedic chanting directly from teachers in the Krishnamacharya tradition during her annual stays in Chennai: Menaka Desikachar, Kausthub Desikachar, Nrithya Jagannathan, and for the past few years Radha Sundararajan. She has also been enjoying her ongoing Sanskrit studies with the ANU in the past three years.